Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Hall Closet Makeover



Before

We have a hall closet that gets A LOT of use. It's where we store towels, bed linens, diapers, cleaning supplies, craft supplies, and much much more.  Even though I worked hard to keep it organized, it was always an eyesore when left open. I wanted it to look nice but most of all I didn't want to have to constantly be reorganizing it to keep it from getting out of control.


After
 I decided I needed containers. I would have liked baskets (because they are cute) but let me tell you, baskets are not cheap (especially when you need 14 of them like I did). I searched stores and online for something that would work and eventually went with Snalis boxes from Ikea. Just a simple, white translucent container for $1.99 each. I am really happy with these. I realize now that wicker baskets wouldn't be best for holding cleaning supplies. Unlike wicker baskets, the Snalis boxes are easily cleaned.

I made labels for each box which may be more for aesthetics than practicality but love them!

I also got one larger size version of the Snalis box for $4.99 to hold diapers and wipes (I have 2 kids in diapers so of course I needed something giant!).

For all the linens (towels, bedding, table cloths, etc.) I chose the Antonius wire basket also from Ikea. They are a shallow, white wire basket at $2.50 a piece. So far they are working out very well.

Here is the result!

Before

After

I love my hall closet so much I kind of like leaving the door open! With a specific box for everything, the closet is always neat with no need to clean it out.  Maybe you are bored now, but maybe you want to makeover your own closet! Go for it and let me know how it goes!
If you like my style be sure to check out my etsy shop!

21 comments:

  1. I'm inspired! I have those very boxes & extras now too from the kids toy bins...guess what I'll be doing today?!xox thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you actually organize a closet with your bins?? How is it??

      Delete
  2. Looks great! I'm currently brainstorming for our bathroom closet and you've given me some great ideas! I love that those bins come in different sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your closet looks great! Found you over on I Heart Organizing and had to check out your full post! I have a linen closet that looks a lot like your before picture and have been wondering how to organize it. Thanks for such great inspiration! I live very close to an Ikea, so I may just head over there and grab some of these containers for myself! :)

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allison! and thanks for stopping by! Don't forget to measure every part of your closet before you head to Ikea!

      Delete
  4. I just went to the IKEA website and the containers aren't available online or in the 3 stores I checked. I live in WI and the closest IKEA is Chicago...

    The transformation is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! Too bad you can't get your hands on these boxes, you may have to find a new option and come back and share it!

      Delete
  5. how is the best way to measure a closet (or other space)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well what I did was measure the depth, height, and length of each shelf. With the depth and height measurements you can decide which boxes will fit on each shelf. Then, knowing the length of your shelves you can determine how many of the boxes will fit on each shelf. I got the measurements of all my containers online before going to Ikea so I knew exactly how many of each one I needed. I hope that all makes sense! Let me know if you have any other questions!

      Delete
  6. Hi! I came from I Heart Organizing and am now a new follower. :) I recently did my linen closet and it feels so good when I open it up because after a month or so it stays perfect with the organization I have in place. You did an AMAZING job on your closet! It looks great! Good luck to you on your blog! I just started in April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I love getting any new follower (as you can see they are few and far between!) and it's good to hear from someone else who is also new to blogging!

      Delete
  7. I did not know Ikea had those boxes. What a simple, yet dramatic transformation. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! and thank YOU for stopping by my blog today!

      Delete
  8. It looks so good! And of course, I was peeking into the nursery that also looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! I will definitely be posting about projects I am working on in my daughter's room!

      Delete
  9. Hi Chloe! we have an out of control linen closet in our house and this totally motivates me to tackle it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I'm sure you'll do an awesome job! Love you blog btw!

      Delete
  10. what are the measurments of ur closet? Mine looks exactly the same size!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those containers are really helpful to store items and keep things somewhat organised. Thanks much for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete