Friday, July 27, 2012

Television Surround Makeover on a $0 budget

For the past year or so I have had a love/hate relationship with having a tv in the bedroom. It's not something that gets used a lot (a couple times a week at most) but when we do use it, it's wonderful! One of my favorite things to do is cuddle up in bed to watch Cranford (or some other BBC period drama) and eat the good cookies i've been hiding from the kids.

So what's the "hate" part of this relationship? Well, tv's aren't pretty. No matter how slim and shiny they are, a room will always look better without a tv in the middle of it. This being the case, our tv has been traveling frequently. It would stay in the bedroom for a bit, be moved to the playroom or even in to a closet, then travel back to the bedroom and around and around again, but not anymore!

We have decided to permanently keep the tv in our bedroom which means it needs to look like it permanently belongs there.  The blank wall surrounding our tv was literally keeping me up at night (yes, I'm crazy, but I know it so it's okay). I wanted a solution fast and most of all free. After two days this is what I came up with.




The wood is from an old wood pallet we had that I cut, then glued the pieces together with wood glue. Then I painted them white and glued on some pressed leafs and flowers (that I had leftover from my pressed botanical art that I blogged about earlier) and that was it!




I love the contrast between the rough, raw wood and the flowers. It has a clean country feel that I love for my home.




Although I do like things to be simple, it is still a little sparse for my taste but for now I am very happy with it.  Whenever the day comes that I can get my wonderful husband to finally mount the tv on the wall, I already have plans to make it gorgeous!

Have you had to come up with a solution to decorate around a tv or other large electronics? I'd love to hear your ideas since I am still trying to figure out my own space!





2 comments: